Your garage door is more than just an entryway to your home – it’s critical to your property’s security. Despite that, many homeowners don’t give it the attention and maintenance it needs until something goes wrong.
Strange noises, erratic behaviour, and other signs are indicators that servicing is required. Regular maintenance ensures your garage door runs smoothly for years and avoids potential problems.
In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of regular servicing, DIY tips for upkeep, and when to call in a professional for help. Let’s dive in!
Top Benefits of Regular Garage Door Service
Before we discuss when to service your garage door, let’s look at the benefits of regular maintenance.
- Security: Your garage keeps your vehicles and other personal belongings safe. Regular servicing ensures that all door components are in good working order, which can prevent potential break-in attempts.
- Safety: Keeping your garage door and electric door opener properly adjusted helps to keep you and your family safe by ensuring all safety features are working and adjusted properly. Garage doors can weigh anywhere from 100lbs to over 700 lbs. An improperly adjusted door can cause serious damage and/or injury.
- Longevity: By taking proactive steps to keep your garage door in optimal condition, you can extend its life. Regular maintenance is an investment that pays off, helping you avoid expensive fixes and ensure a smooth-running system for years to come.
- Peace of Mind: Regularly servicing your garage door minimizes potential risks from intruders or unfavourable weather conditions. Keeping on top of maintenance will give you peace of mind that your door is running smoothly and reliably.
- Avoiding Costly Repairs: Regular inspections allow you to catch minor problems before they become big issues. This will help you avoid costly repairs and keep your door functioning smoothly.
When Should I Service a Garage Door?
Now that we’ve discussed the benefits of maintenance, when should you service your garage door? Here are a few signs that it’s time to take a look.
- Slow to Respond: If your garage door is sluggish to open or shut, it may be a tell-tale sign that maintenance is required.
- Strange Noises: Sometimes, you’ll hear strange noises from your garage door. This could be an indicator that something needs to be serviced or replaced.
- Malfunctioning Remote: Check out the batteries first if your garage opener transmitter isn’t working correctly. If it still doesn’t work, check with a repair professional.
- Visible Damages: Any visible damages such as dents, scratches, or rust should also be addressed ASAP because they can lead to further issues down the line if left unchecked.
- Excessive Wear and Tear: Worn-out components can cause the door to malfunction or become stuck in certain positions.
- Getting Stuck: You wouldn’t want your garage door stuck in the middle of opening or closing. If this happens, it’s time to call a professional for help.
- Wrong Alignment: Check closely for any misalignment between the track and roller. This is a sign that something needs to be serviced or replaced.
DIY Tips to Keep Garage Doors Running Smoothly
Sometimes, all it takes is a little elbow grease to keep your garage door in good condition. Here are some garage door service and maintenance tips you can do on your own.
- Clean the Tracks: Remove any dirt, debris or grime built up in the tracks over time. This will help ensure the smooth operation of the garage door. Tracks should not have any lubricant in them as it will only serve to attract dust and dirt.
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Use lubricant to reduce friction between moving parts and ensure everything runs smoothly. The primary components that require lubrication are the rollers and hinges.
- Check for Loose Hardware: Tighten loose nuts and bolts around the system to prevent rattling noises and other malfunctions.
When Should You Reach Out to a Professional?
If you’re experiencing trouble with your garage door opener, broken springs, or cables, DIY maintenance tasks can only do so much. It’s best to contact a professional for these issues.
The Door House offers reliable service and repairs to residential overhead garage doors in Calgary and Greater Calgary, complete with a 90-day warranty on parts and labour. With our help, you’ll get peace of mind, improved functionality, and longevity for your door. Get in touch today!